Returning to Monogame with a different project

 Wow... 2 of these in a month! Crazy! 

Anyways... I want to write about my latest endeavor into Monogame/XNA again. I feel that I have found some good resources that showed how the framework actually works and what you can do with it in terms of Physics and Sprite Effects. It's really cool and honestly, I'm having a blast using it right now. I have a tech demo in the works for a cool shmup concept and I honestly can't wait to share it. But for now it's going back Unity and finishing this game I have. 


    But if you do want to know what XNA is like, I recommend some small tutorials that will help you  understand how XNA works better. XNA is not a proprietary Physics Engine. It doesn't have things like gravity scaling or rigid physics to it, making prototype development a bit harder to manage. Collision is also not handled like in other engines where you have 2 colliders in an engine and have AABB  and OBB collision to choose from and it'll work. You have to explicitly state what interacts with what for every single object or write a function/collision system that handles all your collision for you (In this case however, that also requires different behaviors for different object classes as well). 

    However unlike most engines, Monogame's memory usage is very small and doesn't have much bloat to components like Unreal or Unity to your program. 


If you want to learn how to get started, I recommend RBWhitaker's XNA tutorials on how XNA works and later some beginner friendly exercises like this Shmup game right here. 

Another resource I recommend are the official Monogame and Monogame.Extended Discords. People will help you out if you're new and will give you tutorials on how to learn.

Anyways, I'll post updates soon on the project when it comes out. I'll see you guys around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Officially Retiring This Blog

This blog has now been sunset as of Today on this very date. No more posts here.  Instead, you can follow my Youtube channel here. https://w...